Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purchasing a game server

2 posters

Go down

Purchasing a game server Empty Purchasing a game server

Post by Cpl.Clegg Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Richard and I have been thinking about purchasing a game server that we can leave online and monitor. A 15 slot server will cost us approximately $180 a year. This means that we will rely on donations to pay for this or it will go away. We may be able to find a cheaper server than what we have been looking at. I am really interested in hearing your opinions on this as well as if you would like to donate or have info on cheaper servers. The first server we will be purchasing (if enough people agree to donate) will be for CS:S. Those who donate will get admin rights.

Last edited by cevinkey on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cpl.Clegg
Cpl.Clegg
Admin

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-07-09

http://www.lanof1000corpses.com

Back to top Go down

Purchasing a game server Empty Purchasing a game server

Post by Ironhide Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

I think it's a great idea. A 24/7 server would be awsome. We can start off with CS:S, then some Team Fortress 2. I would like to see everyone playing the same games again, since everyone have retired from WoW these days. If you guys have any other games in mind, like COD4, Crysis, or what ever, let us know. We are open for any suggestions you guys might have. Lets make good use of this website. We can have alot of fun.
Ironhide
Ironhide
Admin

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Purchasing a game server Empty Re: Purchasing a game server

Post by Ironhide Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 pm

So we have been thinking of the 24/7 game server. What we have came up with, is building a server. We have been researching what it would take spec wise and bandwith wise to make this possible.
Minimum specs would be: 1ghz processor w/ 533fsb, 512 mb memory, basic video card, 500 watt power supply or higher (no need though), a small hard drive, and a cheap case.
What we have found is a Intel Q6600 quadcore, and Intel board w/ gigabyte ethernet for $299 combo price. DDR2 memory ranging from $39.99-$79.99. Cevinkey has a Nvidia 8600 pci express video card. Sticks has a case, I have a cdrom or 2. All we would need is the mobo/ processor combo, memory, hd, and a power supply.
The amount is roughly around $500. Of corse we would need a monitor (very cheap), and a kb and mouse (also very cheap).

Stick is getting fios with and upload speed of 2mb, which 2 mb is enough bandwith to run a 40 man server. We would use a program to log in and manage the server.

We would like to hear everyones feed back on the idea. This would run counter strike source, and tean fortress 2 dedicated servers. Others aswell.

Lets hear your feed back!
Ironhide
Ironhide
Admin

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Purchasing a game server Empty Re: Purchasing a game server

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down